fantasy terrain « Do-it-Yourself Terrain

Posts Tagged ‘fantasy terrain’

Gothic Church (Gothic ‘Astle)

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011

I’ve had this project for quite some time now and I’ve finally got around to actually finishing it.  The aptly named Gothic ‘Astle is actually a plastic kit from Pegasus Hobbies called the Gothic City Building Small Set #1.  The kit was easy to put together and very well constructed constructed.  The kits they offer are even modular, you could easily combine a few different ones together to create something unique.  On top of that, as with most of Pegasus Hobbies products, it was cheap.

Completed Gothic 'Astle

This piece would stand great on it’s own, I decided to (at the time) use foam core for a base, in hind sight, I’d opt for the hardboard in a heart beat.  I also added a wood floor to the inside.  The paintjob was a simple matter of drybrushing grey’s and adding some basing material to the base.  Overall I’m happy with the project, even if it took me 2 years to complete…I’m not sure why I waited so long.

 

 

Fancy Bridges for Sartosa Board

Monday, January 18th, 2010

So, not to be outdone by our Simple Bridges, Paul decided to one up me by making fancy bridges to go along with our Sartosa terrain.  One of the reasons he wanted to do this was because he likes sculpting in pink foam and likes the challenge of creating curves, something that I try to avoid because of it’s difficulty.  We figured it would  add a bit of a different look and function to our Sartosa terrain, in that it would provide a means for cover and also not be a simple wooden bridge.  This whole project was made with pink polystyrene, toothpicks and liquid nails.

Profile of the Bridge

Bridge Platform

All 3 parts of the bridge together with stones being drawn on them

Assembly was straight forward using toothpicks in the sides to hold the platform level while the liquid nails were used for the adhesion.  The tricky parts are after there.  It started with the drawing process with a ball-point pen to sketch in some masonry lines.  This can be seen in the pictures above and below.  There was no rhyme or reason to it, he just sketched them on there, you can be creative in this area, you could make it look like small bricks or larger field stone type like ours or whatever works for you.

Base coat + drybrushing completed

Detail painting complete

Painting was pretty simple, we started with a black base coat, a dark grey dry brush, a lighter grey dry brush and then the fun part.  As you can see in the last photo some of the stones are colored to represent wear and tear and some of the different stones that might have been used and I think moss/mold/etc.  Either way, the effect he got turned out pretty neat and really….we don’t have color in most of the terrain we make, just look back at a few articles and you’ll see lots of brown and grey….and sometimes green.

The Modular Pier / Dock

Monday, January 11th, 2010

In our ongoing Sartosa campaign for Mordheim we’ve been using a lot of our Venice style terrain and this was one of the components to our Ship Board.  At some point a ship has to return to a dock right?  This is where our modular Pier/Dock system came into play.  So far it’s been comprised of 4 12″ pier pieces that will easily span across a 4′ board.  Each piece has the following components:

  • 6 3″ dowels (Dowels are 1/2″ in diameter)
  • 1 12″ platform built from craft sticks and bass wood (pictures do a better job of explaining these, see below)
  • 24 washers with a 1/2 hole in them
  • Hot Glue to hold the worst of it together

Dowels cut to 3" lengths

Dowels attached to washers to act as the pier's pylons

You may be wondering why there is blue tape on the bottoms of the pylons, well, if you take all the washers and stick them to the blue tape, it gives you a surface that isn’t going to adhere to the hot glue.  After you put a couple of the washers in the tape you can put a drop of hot glue into the washer hole and then stick the pylon right down into it.  This will force the glue to the edges and allow it to stick to the washer.  Once dry, you can peel the tape off and you will have a smooth surface on the bottom of the  washer.

Planked surface ready to be mounted to the pylons

Pylons attached

Each deck is about 6 inches wide (give or take).  I found that Hot Glue was easiest to work with, but offered some problems because the deck weighed enough that it wanted to slip as I was attaching the pylons.  It was a tricky balancing act,but I was able to do it.  The top of the deck is 1″ below the top of the pylon, I drew markings to help me line the deck up and keep things level.  The first one I did was less than level and had to be redone, but that’s neither here nor there.

Example of two pieces and how they looked when joined up

All 4 peirs lined up across the table

Black Base-coat

Beastial brown coat + black wash over the whole thing

It’s safe to say that these are nothing terribly complicated to do or paint.  I didn’t put a whole ton of effort into the paint job as, well….it’s wood.  I’m very happy with the way they turned out and their functionality is great.  They also work well as along side of the Simple Bridges I made to either connect up to one of our ships or to land.  Our goal is always going to be modularity as it gets the most bang out of your terrain, and really, if it means I have to make less to get more  out of it…I’m fine with that!